Kids love Halloween and kids love books! Put the 2 together and you have an amazing, “double awesome” combination. Halloween is a time when make-believe and fantasy come to life and candy becomes the main course. This is a great opportunity to engage our kids in some incredible quality time together and one of my favorite ways to do that is to read together.
If you have been around TRU Parenting for a while, you know that I am a huge advocate of reading to our kids. It is one of the TRUest activities that I can think of. Reading books with our child offers opportunities to teach skills and values without being preachy, build our relationship with them and upgrade ourselves in so many ways. I’ve found there are few things kids crave as much as a great story and that makes books a perfect portal to TRU Parenting.
You are in luck because there are a ton of great Halloween books that can be enjoyed by you and your kids. I’d like to share with you some of my kids Halloween Favorites. Check them out. Halloween is just around the corner. The following 15 Halloween books are kid tested and approved by my own children, my wife and myself.
1. Little Witch Series (By Lieve Baeten)
2. The Witch that Lives Next Door (By Norman Bridwell)
3. Go Away, Big Green Monster (By Ed Emberley)
4. There’s a Nightmare in My Closet (By Mercer Mayer)
5. Room on a Broom (By Julia Donaldson)
6. Skeleton Hiccups (By Margery Cuyler)
7. I’m Looking For a Monster (By Timothy Young)
8. The Berenstain Bears and the Haunted House (By Jan & Mike Berenstain)
9. What was I scared of (By Dr. Suess)
10. The Berentain Bears Trick or Treat (By Jan and Mike Berenstain)
11. Boo Who? And Other Wicked Halloween Knock-Knock Jokes (By Katy Hall) (
12. It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (By Charles M. Schultz)
13. Where the Wild Things Are (By Maurice Sendak)
14. Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (By Judy Schauchner)
15. Haunted Castle on Hallow’s Eve (Magic Treehouse series #30- By Mary Pope Osbourne)
The following additional 10 books have not previewed by my little literary critics (My kids) but they look promising and have great Amazon reviews.
16. Ghost in the House (By Ammi-Joan Paquette)
17. Filbert the Good Little Fiend (By Hiawyn Oram)
18. The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root (By Christopher Pennell)
19. Where’s My Mummy (By Carolyn Crimi)
20. Zen Ghosts (By Jon M. Muth)
21. By the Light of the Halloween Moon (By Caroline Stutson)
22. Humbug Witch (By Lorna Balian)
23. Bats at the Library (By Brian Lies)
24. Scardey Cat Splat (By Rob Scotton)
25. Bones (Nonfiction- By Steve Jenkins)
I hope that you enjoyed some of my kids reactions to these books as much as I did. Now the hard part is to choose which one you’re going to read first. Let me give you a bit of advice. Don’t get overwhelmed by the list, just pick one and get reading. They are all excellent. Get started with some witches, monsters or mummies. Visit a haunted house with some bears and cuddle up tight with your little ones. Enjoy the spooky and the silly. Most of all, enjoy the time together.
Each of the images of the books in this list are Amazon affiliate links. You can purchase any of these wonderful books through these image links. Your purchase of these great children’s books through these links helps to support TRU Parenting. Thank you so much for your support!
Speaking of books… You can enter to win an autographed copy of “Yell Less, Love More,” the new book from the Orange Rhino (www.theorangerhino.com).